So here's the deal

It's Friday at 3:30 and I get a call on my cell phone from my recruiter and account manager. For those of you who are consultants, you know this is not good news. I can practically hear the sympathetic head tilt in their voices as they start talking. I stop them in mid sentence.

"They're cutting the contract aren't they?"
"Yes. But it's not performance related."
"Small consolation. How long?"
"Two weeks which is generous."

She's right. Most contracts end the day they cut the funding for the project. In any case I finished the job and on my last day home from work I stopped to get gas. When I got back in my car it wouldn't start. Had the car towed to the dealer who got me back on the road a mere $900 later. Cause that's what I needed now that I'm unemployed. Oh, and yesterday the A/C stopped working. I can only imagine what that's going to cost me.

The long and the short of it is: I'm unemployed, COBRA is offensively expensive and I need to find something rightfuckingnow. I've been hitting up old contacts to see if anyone has anything and so far no joy. One problem is that I no longer have active TS/SCI which is a problem b/c I've been given the "thank you but no thank you" on three really good jobs with very good employers. Their need is immediate and apparently the old method of granting everyone interim status until they've gone on the box is no longer possible.

So if you're hiring tech people or know someone who is, let me know.

Comments

mkfreeberg said…
Dang. That sucks.

How far are you from the beltway? Do you consider that within your geographic range?
Duffy, what are your skillsets? Exactly what kind of Geek are you? Might have something in Philly if you would be interested in that.
Anonymous said…
I emailed you some suggestions. One of the deadlines for application closes soon. - MissAO
The Last Ephor said…
Thanks all.

MKF: No beltway. Baltimore is a reach but doable.

SV: Proj. Mgmt, Bus. Analyst, tech writing, business intelligence and light development. PL/SQL for the last one.

Ms. AO: Got 'em. Many thanks!
Anonymous said…
I hope you get something soon, Duff. Otherwise Shirley will resent you terribly (inside joke on her fear of the foodstamp zombies). Not much of a joke when someone you like is hit with the souring economy is it?
The check engine light just went on in my truck and I am worried about what kind of cash it might pull from the budget.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing