Why

Dear Reader(s),

Why do you come here? That is; Which posts, if any, do you like to read? I ask b/c I started this thing so I could engage in something approximating a dialog w/ people who do not share my viewpoint. I've been singularly unable to spawn any sort of discussion on virtually anything. I do occasionally get comments but they're usually of the "hang in there" types when I'm whining about how difficult things are.

I hope this doesn't sound like complaining about a lack of comments but I'm more puzzled than anything else.

I also intended this as a forum for me to figure out some sort of coherent (hopefully) political and social philosophy for myself by examining not just what I believe but why I believe it. I've not done that largely due to time constraints and the fact that there are so many others doing it better than I could.

Perhaps I need to re-examine my reasons for blogging. The political discourse thing is clearly not happening and whinging about personal stuff doesn't carry much currency or interest (for me at least) but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any advice/comments welcome.

Comments

Brian Shields said…
I try to do the same thing with my blog, start a discussion on the topic at hand... and the comments don't seem to flow. I have accepted that.

I do see, though, that I have a high return rate of visitors. That's a good thing and means you have something they want to read.

I, to answer your question, return because you think. you have a unique opinion and you express it. I might not agree, but that's fine. I come here for the uniqueness.

Doubt that helps.
The Last Ephor said…
Hell, it's one more comment than I expected to be honest.

It does help. Thank you.
Paul Smith Jr. said…
I often won't bother to comment when I agree with something, or have nothing in particular to add to a post. I do read all your posts, but often just have nothing particularly profound to add.
The Last Ephor said…
Thanks Paul, that's generally what happens when I visit you or Hube. What's the point of chiming in "me too!" w/o adding anything substantive?
Anonymous said…
I'm in the same boat, Duffy. People read my blog, and I get face-to-face compliments, but not very many commenters. However, I think I know why.

The DE Blargosphere has 3 main blogs: DE Lib, FSP, and DWA. All of these have the resources to write on things that we smaller blogs cover, too, and usually do it quicker. Because of that, those blags are where the commenters are. I doubt readers would want to have the same conversation in two different places.

When we smaller blogs have a particularly good post, it gets linked on the bigger ones, and the comments happen there. I don't think there's anything personal involved, it's just like going to your favorite bar to bullshit with your friends.
The Last Ephor said…
Good point Joe. I think there is a certain amount of inertia as well. Two of the aforementioned blogs are specifically liberal political blogs as well. Mine is not as focused and won't get linked to by a larger web presence (like HuffPo or whatever) which also drives hits.

It's not the lack of hits I lament, it's the lack of dialog.
Anonymous said…
Personally, I'm just delighted to read a post that actually uses the word "whinging"; I thought I was the only one who ever used that word, and I've taken some abuse for it.

As for comments, I have a hard time getting engaged in a blog that takes weeks-long "vacations" - hard to sustain the interest level or establish any kind of momentum. I enjoy when you do post, though.
The Last Ephor said…
"I have a hard time getting engaged in a blog that takes weeks-long "vacations" - hard to sustain the interest level or establish any kind of momentum."

Guilty as charged. I think it has to do with blogging fatigue. It started to feel more like work than relief. Drop out, refocus and start anew I guess. Thanks for sticking with me.
Hube said…
I like reading your stuff. That's why I come here. Your motif is similar to mine -- that is, you blog about virtually anything and everything which, for me, makes it fresh.

My advice: Don't change a thing. Your uniqueness is worthy. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing

For Gerard