Soccer

I've been playing soccer one night a week in a pickup game for a few months now. Most of the players are a bit older (late 20's and up) and generally trying to get in shape. The games aren't serious and we rarely call (or need to call) fouls. A week ago I was running full speed for a ball that was headed for the opponents net. I was two steps away from a one on one with the keeper. Out of nowhere, a defenseman shoulders me and I hit the turf. Hard. I landed fully on my shoulder and heard a crunch. I was in white hot agony almost instantly. I sat for the rest of the night and went home. I figured I just jammed it and it would hurt of a while. If it still hurt after that, I'd see the doctor.

After a few days, it still hurt and range of motion was a problem. I would try and lift something with my right arm and my arm would not go above chest level. It was not pain stopping me, it just wouldn't go. Not good. I called the doctor and explained the situation. He had me move this way and that one the phone.

"You dislocated your shoulder. Stop lifting things with that arm and come see me. We have to put it back in the socket."
"Sounds painful."
"It is. Don't worry, we're going to give you something for the pain first."
"Great. I'll come in tomorrow."

Aw crap. This is all I need. I didn't think it was dislocated because while it hurt, it didn't hurt that bad.

An hour later, I'm about to give the baby a bottle. My wife is on the phone upstairs and the other hellions are running around the house yelling as toddlers are wont to do. As I'm trying to adjust myself and the baby to get into a position to feed him, I feel a pop and another burst of raw, unadulterated pain shoot through my shoulder and up my neck. I feel shout out of not only pain but surprise. My wife runs to the stop of the stairs and sees my face going pale. She bounds down the stairs and takes the baby. (He's crying because he's hungry and moreso because I scared him.) I crumple to the floor and try to keep myself from passing out. I felt queasy like y ou do when someone kicks you in the soft and dangly bits. After about ten minutes, it starts to recede like the tide going out. It's there but lessening literally in waves. I have broken my nose, several ribs, fingers, toes, my wrist, my ankle, and my breastbone. The only thing more painful than this was the broken breasbone which took forever to heal. Today I'm very sore but I have full range of motion and the pain is considerably less. I'm hoping it heals quickly because this is not fun. I rolled over when sleeping and the pain was enough to bring me rocketing up from the depths of sleep to wide awake instantly.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Comments

mkfreeberg said…
Ouch. Sorry, dude. Hope everything comes out okay.

Or goes in.
The Last Ephor said…
Thanks for the well wishes. Mostly my pride/ego are wounded because I'm feeling my age. A fall like this 10 years ago wouldn't have been much I gather.
Anonymous said…
Um, Duff? I changed my mind about that league ....!

Sounds WAY too much like my last experience with soccer. I just don't need any more of that sort of stuff.

And you were in a PICK-UP game?? YIKES!

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing