I've been tagged:

Tagged by Anavenger: with linky love.

1. One book that changed your life: Thinking In Pictures: and Other Reports from My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin. One of the best books I've ever read that really helped me understand how my son thinks about and sees the world.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Eat The Rich by P.J. O'Rourke. Hilarious and sadly true. O'Rourke is a modern day Mencken without the misanthropy.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Hmm...I'd have to pick something really long like Lord Of The Rings 50th anniversay edition. Either that or the Bible. I avoided picking the Bible as it seems the obvious choice.

4. One book that made you laugh: Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein. It's a satire of religion and faith. I'd add that any book by H.L. Mencken or P.J. O'Rourke would qualify also.

5. One book that made you cry: Lament for a Son by Nicholas Walterstorff. Heartwrenching account of a father who lost his son in a climbing accident while studying abroad. It was originally a personal diary but he later published it in hopes it would help other people who lost their own children.

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Definative Guide to What Women Mean When They Speak

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The Communist Manefesto. More people have been killed in the name of communism than any other ideology. It is no better than nazism and is it's ideological cousin.

8. One book you’re currently reading: When Character Was King by Peggy Noonan. I love the way Noonan writes. She's elegant and understated. Her ability to set a scene you can immerse yourself in is unparalleled.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: A War Like No Other: How the Athenians and Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War by Victor Davis Hanson . Hanson it the pre-eminent scholar in classics today. He shows persuasively that it is culture that defines us and cultures defeat one another. I diametric opposite to Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel.

10. Tag five others. Hmm...the whole of the DE blogosphere seems to have been taken up. I'll tag Nancy and Jason (I'm a uniter, not a divider).

Comments

Anna Venger said…
Thank you so much for playing!! Enjoyed reading your list. And thanks for tagging Nancy. I wanted to, but then I wouldn't be able to appeal to your sense of male chivalry to respond!
The Last Ephor said…
No problem Anna, you flatter me.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing