Bartender Myths. Most of these are absolutely true. My only qualm is with #4. Bartenders are not entitled to a tip, it is not a fee for walking in the door. The egregiously overpriced drinks are the price for walking in the door. Good service is what garners tips. Automated tipping subsidises bad service. Same for waiters.

I've been a bartender which is why I support selective tipping. I've seen terrible bartenders get tips out of habit. Guess what, they're not going to get better unless you punish/reward them as necessary.

I once had a bartender ignore me because I didn't tip her on the first round. There were three of us and we ordered three beers. She then proceeded to ignore us thereafter. When I finally said "Hey!" in a sharp voice she wheeled around and told me she "I'm not here for my health." which I told her, was true, she was there to get me drinks.

As the shouting match escalated the head bartender came over trying to diffuse the situation but it was too late. The manager arrived and I told him what happened and further told him that his currently empty bar was going to be filled with the 12 other people that I was meeting but we'd be leaving as soon as they arrived. He wasn't pleased.

I'm a very generous tipper. I was in the service industry for a while and I know that they have difficult jobs and long hours. That said, I also expect good service. I'm not a pain in the ass customer. I don't pester servers with endless requests and I'm forgiving when things get backed up. I know it when I see it and I know crappy service when I see it and I tip accordingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing