On Monday, my eldest son slapped me in the face. He's six years old. I don't mean he literally slapped me but rather, metaphorically. On Monday, he spoke his first word. And his second, third and so on up to his ninth. We went from zero words to nine. Anyone reading this is likely wondering why a six year old is only now speaking his first words. Simple, he's autistic. He has never spoken but always vocalized. He has a series of sounds and noises he makes that indicate desires or emotions. When he's upset he makes one noise, fear has another (he hates the vacuum) and happiness has many.

He takes the bus to school and it was bloody hot this week so my wife picked him up from school. She walked in the classroom and the teacher said, "You'll never guess what your son did." Uh oh, that's usually not a good opener. "He's using words." He saw my wife and walked over and said, "Hi." She called me and told me at work but I remained skeptical as I've heard this one before. Sounds that could be words and are often out of context. However, when I got home I was greated with "Hi." Sharp, precise and in proper context. We decided to experiment. I sat him on the couch and said, "Daddy". He started to giggle and then "Daddy!" we all applauded loudly and he loved it. Next was "Mom" with the same result. At this point, he's positively vibrating with excitement. We tried "apple", "Nanny" and "Papa" all with success. We said my other son's name which is polysylabic and while he couldn't say repeat it, he did give his brother a hug when we said his name. That too, is remarkable. He has behavioral problems and often resents the attention that his brothers get. Often he will try to push them away from me and dominate my time (or my wife's time).

I've not said anything until now as I was afraid it was a fluke. However, it's been four days now with no letup in sight. I have not cried with joy in a long time. I have no words for how proud of him I am, nor how monumental this is to us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations. I have a nephew that is autistic, and the milestones I had taken for granted in my own children are so cherished by my brother-in-law/sister-in-law that I wish I could do it all again.
Anonymous said…
in teh blog world of negative/counter negative, it is great to hear a story like this...congratulations!
mmahaffie said…
That's great! Mazel Tov!
Paul Smith Jr. said…
That's great. Here's to continued improvement.
Anna Venger said…
I'm so happy for you. I'm sure no words were ever more musical to your ears.
The Last Ephor said…
Thanks everybody. I'm really touched by the heartfelt comments. As this got the most response from my reader(s), I'll keep you posted.
The Last Ephor said…
Thanks DV. Your wife must be an angel. People who work with autistic kids do a very difficult job for serf's wages.
The Last Ephor said…
Hey, DV, I was going to email you but I don't see any contact info on your blog so I'll ask here;

I don't want to pry but does your wife work at DAP?

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing