I'm sure you've all heard about Mel Gibson's bender and arrest.

Gibson was caught driving 87 in a 45. Upon his detention he started hurling racial epethets at the arresting officer. He acted like a typical Hollywood ass. According to the report, his BAC was .12. That isn't nearly high enough to suggest he was so completely impared that he would be babbling like a loon because of alcohol. He was too impared to drive but not much else. In my opinion, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Mel's father is reknown for his anti-semitism and holocost denial. Based on Mel's comments it's clear to me he absorbed some of his father's deep seated hatreds. There was much hay made about this when The Passion of The Christ first came out and I dismissed it as a smear. Seems I was wrong.

Mel did his best damage control apology:

Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade -- Alleged Cover Up - TMZ.com: "On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

'After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health.'"

That is the proper way to apologize. He didn't give the BS "to the extent that I offended anyone..." He said he was wrong and probably believes it. However, he is going to have a great deal to atone for.

Comments

Paul Smith Jr. said…
It's a shame that everything that was said about him was apparently true. (I'd held out hope.)

I still think The Passion was a great movie though. I'll still continue to watch it.

The thing I don't get is how can a guy who hates the Jews survive in Hollywood?
The Last Ephor said…
He seems to be able to hide it well. When people feel cornered, or attacked, they often pull out all the stops and the invective starts flying.

Does he believe what he said? I don't know. I know that at the bare minimum, he used it as a way to hurt somebody who he thought wronged him. It speaks to low character.
Paul Smith Jr. said…
I'm not going to judge his "normal" character based off what he said while drunk. Some people are just mean drunks. (I get sleepy and quiet myself.)
The Last Ephor said…
I'm a firm believer in the "in vino veritas" axiom. Also, .12 is impaired but raving drunk. Not drunk to the point of incoherence.

It's not just this incident either. There are other red flags for me. He was always skittish about denouncing his father's views. Nobody wants to excoriate their father publicly but if his views are that odious, it's necessary.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing