Top 50 Restauants in the world. Quite a list. I'd love to try any one of them. I've only heard of a handful of them

Nobu of Iron Chef fame.

French Laundry synonomous with Napa Valley.

Gordon Ramsey from Hell's Kitchen.

I enjoy a good meal as much as the next guy but the point of diminishing returns curves rather steeply. Most fine dining restaurants have entrees around the $20-$30 mark. Take one of my local favorite restaurnts: Moro. I consider it fine dining. It's not anywhere near the same realms as Alain Ducasse or even Le Bec Fin. However, if you look a the menu, most entrees are between $20 and $25. That isn't cheap.

Example:

Appetizer:

House Made Mozzarella w/ wood roasted peppers, marinated olives and balsamic $10

Entrees:

Grilled Filet Mignon w/ fennel whipped potatoes, chile broccoli rabe and tamarind jus $28

Plank roasted maple glazed Salmon w/ whipped sweet potatoes, grilled pineapple and macadamia nut vinaigrette $23

For Dessert:
Banana-Chocolate Tiramisu w/ fried banana and chocolate shavings… $8

And a drink:

Let's assume you have one bottle of wine @ $30 (which is probably on the lower end of the scale for the wine list)

Grand Total:

$99 before tip. Round it out to an even $100 and add in a tip for 15% that's $115 for dinner.

For. Dinner.

Seriously, how much more can you spend and enjoy it? For every anniversary type trip I take like the one above, I have countless meals from a grill that cost me less than the cost of one entree to feed 4 people and ply them with alcohol to boot. Most times, I enjoy the latter more than the fomer. The sticker shock tends to take the shine off of things for me. Plus, sitting on my deck on a nice night with some friends, a burger and a beer is hard to beat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing