I'm probably one of maybe 6 Formula 1 fans in the US. I don't watch the races live b/c they're usually run from far flung reaches of different time zones so I'm usually sleeping when they're happening. No problem, I have Tivo. I'm watching the Malaysian Grand Prix the other day and stepped away to referee the latest impromtu Ultimate Toddler Fighting Championship (part MCMXLVII in a seemingly endless series). I come back and the announcer is polling the audience asking; "If Kimi Raikkonen hadn't retired, where would he have finished today?" My jaw dropped. RETIRED!? Why would he retire? WTF? He's one of the top drivers in the world. I could only surmise he was injured. I rewind and see what I missed. He crashed on the opening lap. The announcer meant retired for the day! Shaw was correct, the Americans and Brits are two people divided by a common language.

Comments

Tikna said…
Wow, retired !!!!
Looks strange to me the way you interpreted it due to the fact i have also studied British English.
;)

Nice Blog, nonetheless.

Anyway let me assure you there are more than six F1 fans in the US, 60% of my site's(Formula One Season 2006) traffic comes from the US who search for Formula One.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing