Church denies Communion to autistic boy. The headline is alarmist but mostly accurate. This story gives me agnst to the nth degree. There are serious constraints here that the Bishop needs to take into account. While the he is correct to maintain the integrity of the host, it seems there's a lack of knowlege here. Why not use sacramental wine here? It wouldn't be an ingestion problem (other than taste) and even "mustim". That may even be problematic.

Autistic kids have serious sensory issues. My son, for example, has a very narrow diet and requires a lot of sensory input. There is no way he would be able to take either the host or, in all likelihood, mustim. The only way I would know is to try. I don't relish the idea of him spitting out either one. Any clergy in attendance would likely have an apoplectic fit! I think the family would do well to meet with the Bishop and explain things in full and find some sort of accomidation. Couldn't he have some water with the host to help him swallow? Would that not be acceptable? Anyone who's old enough to remember when we had sacremental wine knows that the host dissolves instantly when it comes in contact with liquid.

This is something I've been grappling with of late. Will he ever be able to decide about his faith? Does he even have a concept of faith? He is much much smarter than people give him credit for. I just wish he could tell me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing