Africa's New Ocean: A Continent Splits Apart. The hed is a bit misleading as the continent has not yet split. However, geologists say it is imminent. "Imminent" for geologies is measured in centuries. When I hear "immenent" it means, turn on CNN and you'll see it after the break.

On a serious note: I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this one. Will it be a navigable waterway? If so, how large a vessel will fit? I'm assuming from the word "ocean" it will be very very large. Could VLCC's fit? Will it be a new Panama Canal? I assume any attempts to move through there would require some protection. Anti-piracy initiatives would be vital. Currently, said pirates are terrorizing commercial and leisure vessels from Indonesia to Africa. It will be some time before anything happens but it certainly is interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing