When to look away

This article is like a slap in the face. My wife and I were watching coverage of the horror unfolding in NOLA last night. I asked her to change the channel.

"See, that's your problem you always look away. Like you don't want to see this stuff. This is real life."

"It's 10:30. We've been watching this for 2 hours."
(the footage of the elderly dead man in the street and discussions of a child being raped in the Superdome pushed me over the edge)

She agreed.

I was thinking today about that. My wife is incensed that football games were on last night. "I know that life goes on but it seems inappropriate in light of what these people are going through."

I think the world keeps turning. No amount of canceling football games is going to make people care. There comes a point when you have to look away because you can't do any more. You've given what you can to charity and now all you can do is watch the horror unfold.

It's just too awful. You have to take it in small doses. This can't end soon enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing