10 Things I Hate That Everybody Loves - Considered

I don't read Taki's magazine often but occasionally something comes into view that is worth reading and even commenting. Exhibit A: 10 Things I Hate That Everybody Loves:

I know you're dying to know how I feel about each of these so here we go.

1. Cigars. Actually, I do like cigars. The problem is that they are too expensive and I'm not going to smoke at home or in front of my kids. That leaves me with approximately zero opportunity to smoke them. Plus, for me, they're a social thing. Many a good evening has been over cigars which seems to put people in a bit more of a contemplative mood.

2. Fancy Scotch. Have to agree here. I like the idea of scotch more than the stuff itself. I never really developed a taste for it. I like it ok but I can't tell one from another or what flavors I would look for if ordering one.

3. Sports. Playing or watching? Big difference. I like playing soccer but again, I'm rather time poor. I do like watching football. To me the biggest draw of sports is that nobody involved knows the outcome before it starts. That makes it unique in entertainment.

4. Live music. Can be great but I'm too old to be bothered with most concerts. I will go to a smaller venue to see a local act I like or the opera. Yes, I'm a fuddy duddy opera nerd. I have been for ages which makes me doubly weird.

5. Roomba. I have no experience with this thing and wouldn't buy one for that kind of money.

6. Fake boobs. Meh. I can understand why some women get them. I don't get the comically huge ones that just look bolted on. Fake is not attractive.

7. Sunglasses. Emphatically yes. I wear them all the time. I am very photosensitive and the slightest bit of brightness has me squinting.

8. Tattoos. Totally overdone. I find that the people with the most tattoos are usually the most boring people who have decided that it's better to look interesting than to be interesting. I would get one but I can't think of anything I want on my body permanently.

9. Cookies. I'm not much for sweet stuff so I could take it or leave it. Hot, fresh chocolate chip cookies are another matter. I'd fight my own mother for those things.

10. Most TV is crap. I can take or leave most of it. There are some bright spots but even those are typically hit or miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing