Things I wish I knew when I was younger:
* The only think in life you ever really, truly control is yourself.
* Most of it doesn’t matter. Most of the things that drive you crazy, keep you awake at night and make you angry don't matter. Very few things matter. Focus on them and you'll be happier.
* Bitterness and holding on to past hurt is the most destructive force in the universe. Nothing, but nothing, is more damaging to a person than that. It's cancer. Get rid of it.
* Good enough is good enough but perfect is a pain in the ass
* People who follow every fashion trend are generally idiots. The more seriously they take fashion the dumber they are. They're dwelling on one of the least interesting, least important things in life.
* Work is a means to an end. There is a point of diminishing returns for work that comes up pretty quickly.
* The quickest and simplest way to wreck any relationship is to listen to gossip. The worst way to spend your time is spreading more. People who spread gossip are the plague-carriers of our day. Cockroaches are clean, kindly creatures in comparison.
* Trying to please everyone at the same time is a recipe for having everyone mad at you
* Nobody wins or loses all the time. Winning is great but don't think you're always going to win.
* Some people are assholes. Others are inherently negative people. Stay away from both. The more time you spend with them the more you become like them. Life is too short to surround yourself with people who are not positive influences in your life.
* Everything takes twice as long as you plan for and produces results about half as good as you hoped. Don't dwell on it. Do your best, fix it and then move on.
* People don't change. Liars will lie. Loyal friends will remain so in the face of adversity.
* Be yourself. Being someone else is exhausting and you won't be able to keep it up. If someone likes the person you're pretending to be what are they going to do when they find out that's not you?
* Nobody likes a whiner
* The friends you have now, the ones you'd kill or die for will disappear from your life forever in less than 5 years. Likewise that girlfriend you can't live without. Ditto tThe bullies who torment you.
* There's no shame in losing but there is in quitting