Did she learn anything? No.

We are not your weapons – we are women
Two weeks ago, on a Monday morning, I started to write what I thought was a very clever editorial about violence against women in Haiti. The case, I believed, was being overstated by women’s organizations in need of additional resources. Ever committed to preserving the dignity of Black men in a world which constantly stereotypes them as violent savages, I viewed this writing as yet one more opportunity to fight “the man” on behalf of my brothers. That night, before I could finish the piece, I was held on a rooftop in Haiti and raped repeatedly by one of the very men who I had spent the bulk of my life advocating for.


Truly horrible. My heart breaks for this woman. I cannot imagine such an ordeal let alone having the courage to write about it.


begged him to stop. Afraid he would kill me, I pleaded with him to honor my commitment to Haiti, to him as a brother in the mutual struggle for an end to our common oppression, but to no avail. He didn’t care that I was a Malcolm X scholar. He told me to shut up, and then slapped me in the face.


The mind of a liberal. When under direct, physical assault, reason with your assailant. The woman actually thought this guy would be moved by her creds. Can anyone be this divorced from reality? Yes.


Women are not the source of their oppression; oppressive policies and the as-yet unaddressed white patriarchy which still dominates the global stage are. Because women–and particularly women of color–are forced to bear the brunt of the Black male response to the Black male plight, the international community and those nations who have benefitted from the oppression of colonized peoples have a responsibility to provide women with the protection that they need.


So the Black man is angry at his place in the world, he then rapes the author and she blames....white people for not saving her. How?


The United Nations, western women’s organizations and the Haitian government must immediately provide women in Haiti with the funding that they need to build domestic violence and rape crisis centers. Stop dividing Black families by distributing solely to women, which only exaggerates male resentment and frustration in Haiti. Provide both women and men with job training programs that would allow for self-sufficiency as opposed to continued dependency on whites. Lastly, admit that the issue of racial integration might still need addressing on an international level, and then find a way to address it!


So the plan is not to police the streets and jail criminals but to open rape crisis centers? How would that have protected her? Job training programs? She thinks she was raped because this guy didn't have a job? How was that leap of logic made? Does she know this guy is unemployed?


Not once did I envision myself becoming a receptacle for a Black man’s rage at the white world, but that is what I became.


So the only reason she was raped is because her rapist feels powerless against white patriarchy. He figured the only way to rage against white men was to rape a woman? Can this get worse? Yes.

While I take issue with my brother’s behavior, I’m grateful for the experience.


Take issue!? Grateful? Words fail me.

In all seriousness, this woman is mentally ill. No normal, well adjusted person could create this line of thinking. I feel for this woman. I pray for her. She clearly needs help.

Comments

Paul Smith Jr. said…
The mind of a liberal. When under direct, physical assault, reason with your assailant.

But when they disagree with you politically, demonize and accuse them of racism.

Rapists are treated with more respect then political opponents...

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing