A bleg for the DE blogosphere

Dear Reader(s),

As the election draws to a close the rhetoric is going to reach a fever pitch and I can only predict that the elbows are going to get sharper. When it's all over can we agree to refrain from gloating? Seriously. We've had a year of slander political campaigning and this election is one of the most hotly contested races in living memory. Lord Byron once said life was "nasty, brutish and short". Our political campaigns have become two out of three of those. I've made no bones about my opposition to Obama. While I think he would help bridge the racial divide we have I don't think he's ready and I think his policies would exacerbate the problems we have and even create new ones. Especially on the foreign policy front. That said, if (and hopefully when) he loses I will not gloat. It is unseemly and unhelpful. Mostly I'll be relieved it's over and if anyone takes this matter to court I'm going to flip the @#$% out. This is an election not a trial. I commended John Kerry when he conceded Ohio rather than fight. I'm cynical to believe that's largely because he knew the margin was wide enough that winning via court ordered recount was very unlikely. I also believe he called it off because unless it was clear he was going to be handily vindicated it was bad for the country. I very much doubt DL will be able to refrain from crowing for the next four years should Obama win. I hope they prove me wrong. (I think LG and Tommywonk will refrain. DonViti will remain the resident poo flinger and Jason and DelDem will go full bore on gloating with a side of scorn.)

OTOH, Team NObama should show they are capable of being civil. Keep it classy guys (and ladies).

This is not to say that commenting on the victory or congratulating the winner are improper. Far from it. Nor is hopeful exuberance for the future. It's the petulant taunting I loathe.

Lastly, I'm going to refrain from a postmortem until inauguration day when we'll have some facts and data to use rather than wild conjecture and speculation about who lost and why.

Thank you.

Comments

miriam sawyer said…
The librarian in me can't resist correcting your quote--actually by Hobbes: "The life of man in a state of nature is brutish, nasty, and short."

Good point, anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing

For Gerard