Trolls

A seminal work on trolls. I question the story though. Is the whole story one big troll? I think the guys in question are, in fact, trolls and rejoice in it. That doesn’t mean the rest of the article lines up. The bit about making $10 MM a year doesn’t pass the smell test. Identity thieves can be brazen but anyone jacking that kind of cash isn’t going to poke their head up like this. The Rolls Royce thing is a bit of theater too if you ask me. There are undoubtedly people online who are sociopaths who hurt others for fun. Hell, I went to high school with people like that. Fortuny’s claim of abuse could well be true and would explain his pathological need to lash out and hurt anyone he can. Anyone with deep seated issues like that is bound to react in the same way until they get some very serious help. (Forgive me for straying into club chair psychoanalyst mode)

I think the there are two things here that stand out as worthy of mention:

1. Trolls only go way when you ignore them. The one thing that takes the wind out of their sails is not getting a reaction. Hence the dictum “Do not feed the trolls.”
2. Anonymity (or pseudonmity) frequently allows people to say things they believe that they otherwise would not say.

Even in our little Delaware blogosphere we have a few that keep their readers at a distance. (I’m not sure I qualify any more as most of you have seen my resume and I’ve been more forthcoming about personal issues for good or for ill.) I think keeping people at a remove is a double edged sword. On one hand it allows you to speak freely without readers drawing inferences based on your age, sex, race, etc. On the other hand, if you meet the people commenting on your blog (or vice versa) you’ll find it harder to be rude to them (at least I do).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing