Update(s)

So the dishwasher saga continues.

Repairman #2, who does not look like a Bears Superfan arrives. I give him the part and he sets to work in grim silence. Upon dismantling the door to the thing he pulls out the fried circuit board with a grim expression. He gives a harumphing noise that doesn't really sound like that but that's as close as I can get onomonpedically (I made a new word, take that Freeberg!)

Him: "That's melted pretty bad."

Me: "...."

Him: "The door handle is melted too."

Me: "um..what?"

Him: "The closing mechanism for the handle is right behind the circuit board so you couldn't see it and I guess the first guy didn't take it out so he wouldn't have seen it either."

Me: "And how much is that going to cost me?"

Him: "The part is nine dollars and twenty seven fifty for labor"

Me: "So, because the first guy didn't diagnose the whole problem I'm going to get hit with two labor charges?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "No. Why should I pay for labor twice when I'm not the one who made a mistake."

Him: "Well, you'll have to call the office."

Me: "You can count on that."

He gets back to work in weighty silence. I pace the kitchen.

Him: "Here's another problem."

Me: "Fantastic. Now what?"

Him: "This replacement board is damaged. This relay is loose."

Me: "@@#$%%^$&"

I ask him how long he's being doing this.

Him: "32 years."

Thirty two years. That's a very long time. Long enough that I'm going to pick his brain.

Me: "What do you think I should do."

Him: "I'm not supposed to advise customers like that."

Me: "OK, if you were me, what would you do?

Him: "Well...if it were me, I'd be thinking about a replacement unit. I can repair this and maybe it will last me another 10 years. But I'll only have a 90 day warranty and when it surges like this you don't know what else was damaged. No way to know. If I were to buy a new one, I'd have at least a 2 year warranty and could even buy the extended 5 year for a hundred bucks."

After much deliberation, I sent him on his way with a refusal of service and asked him to refund my money rather than order yet another circuit board. The cost of repair is now right up against the cost of replacement. I am loathe to spend several hundred dollars on a new machine but am reluctant to throw good money after bad. What to do? I honestly haven't a clue. I ran over to Lowe's at lunch and looked at the models and frankly, they're all pretty similar w/in each price point. I want something that gets dishes clean and if possible is quiet. Those absurdly pie in the sky requirements put me in the $500-$700 range. For a machine that washes dishes. I kid you not.

Now I've got the devil and the angel on my shoulders. The angel is saying "repair it, all will be well. Don't spend the money for a new machine." The Devil says, "buy a new one with an extended warranty. If you fix this one and it dies in a year you'll have spent even more than you would have to replace it." (Frankly, I'm not sure who's the devil and who's the angel in this scenario. Readers are invited to speculate.)

So I'm at an impasse and am stuck with paper plates until I sort this one out.

Comments

mkfreeberg said…
Day-yum.

Sorry about that one, man.

Over here in California, every now and then I'll hear about a young couple just starting out, and the lucky stiffs manage to land a HOUSE (McMansion type thing) because mom & dad were gracious enough to put up the "down." I always wonder how things go after that.

Now I'm wondering even more.

I dunno if this will help you out any, but OxyClean works just as good as Billy Mayes says it does, better even. You just have to get the water good & hot, and after you're done rinse it off real good because when if it dries it looks all gross & oxycrusty & stuff.

Hey, I made a new word.
mkfreeberg said…
Oh hey -- one thing I forgot.

You mentioned complaining just to see how far it got you. I was really looking forward to that subplot. How'd it go?

I mean, whether it got you anywhere or not, it's bound to be the juiciest part and I'm sure you won't disappoint with the way you choose to tell it.
The Last Ephor said…
Thanks Mark, you're too kind. Personally I think my writing is dashed off tripe. I'll say that I'm "in negotiations" with them and I absolutely will post it and will out the maker by name as well. For good or ill they will feel the might of Pencader Days! Both my readers will carry forth my tale and the execs will quake in fear of the outcome.
Anonymous said…
Oh, for heaven's sake! Wash the darned dishes by hand and save yourself a bundle of money. It takes me between 5-10 minutes to wash all my dishes, including pots and pans, after preparing a full meal for a family of four. Saves water and electricity, too.
Paul Smith Jr. said…
I'm generally a fan of replacing things before you absolutely need to, but that's really a decision you'll have to make because you know your overall financial situation better than I. (Sometimes it's nice being single.)

For good or ill they will feel the might of Pencader Days!
Should we call this "Dishwasher Trek II: The Wrath of Duffy"?
The Last Ephor said…
Anon; I have a family of six. The washing up required if done by hand scales up geometrically. Combine that with the fact that they're not all school age so they're home during the day which makes for more dishes. You not whereof you speak. A family of four with two kids in school all day and one or more adult at work all day is very different.
mkfreeberg said…
For good or ill they will feel the might of Pencader Days!

You know, that's worth a post by itself, for you are far from alone. How many times have I been cornered in some "consumer versus heartless corporation or government agency" debacle and felt that tug of temptation (delusion) about bringing forth the can of whoopass that is The Wrath Of The Blog That Nobody Reads.

It's a funny feeling, even though its tethering to reality is cleanly severed. Makes you wonder what Clark Kent thinks about his options when the neighbor lets her dogs bark all night long. Oh, if they only begun to understand the cosmic forces with which they were dealing......

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing