"The Law is an Ass"

That was the refrain from my Business Law professor. The one class I took that constitutes any sort of formal education I've had regarding law. That expression stuck with me and with good reason. I see it revealed on a regular basis. What do you say about a case where adults create a fake MySpace page for the sole purpose of deceiving and tormenting a 13 year old girl with mental problems? I'm sure you've heard about it by now. The entire story is here.

Synopsis: Two girls are friends, for some reason or another, they aren't friends anymore. Girl #2's parents create a fake MySpace page with a good looking boy who asks to be Girl #1's friend. After gaining her confidence, the fake boy insults and degrades Girl #1 mercilessly. So much so that she kills herself. The parents and teens responsible do nothing. They don't beg for forgiveness or turn themselves in to police. Instead, they continue to act like they are still friends with the dead girls parents. The parents eventually find out and are now seeking to have the law changed to protect others like her daughter. Apparently, what those parents did was not against the law. Hence, the title of this post.

What crime could it be? Incitement to suicide? I don't even think that's a crime. Cyberstalking? Possibly. Depends on the law in their state.

Pause for a moment and consider the strength and grace of these parents. They found out that their neighbors, their friends contributed directly to their daughter's death and then acted like nothing happened after that. The worst thing they did was destroy their fooseball table. If that were me, I'd be standing in the dock for double homicide, arson and God knows what else. What's more, I'd be completely unrepentant at trial.

Pause for a moment and consider the sociopathy of the other parents. After creating an elaborate ruse to dupe and torment a 13 year old girl that the knew had mental problems they did nothing except cover their tracks and act as if nothing had happened. What kind of evil, twisted morally bankrupt people are these? If there's any justice in this word, the

Pause for a moment and consider the neighbors who do not literally tar and feather those parents and run them out of town on a rail. If I were the guy across the street I'd have a 10' X 8' sign that said simply "SHAME ON YOU" though I'd be tempted to put "FOR THE GOOD OF HUMANITY, KILL YOURSELVES."

Thomas Hobbs said that life is "nasty, brutish and short". For a great many of us, that is all too true.

Pray for Tina and her family.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was incredulous when I hear this tale, too. And, I think I'd be in the same situation as you had that happened to me (my daughter), Duff.

Those "parents" should be as socially ostracized as humanly possible.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing