Daily Roundup

I've not done this one in a while. So...back by (un)popular demand here we go:

Sarko beats SNCF unions. A huge, huge win for him. The transport unions are immensely powerful in France. Perhaps even more so than the trucker's union who regularly paralyze France every year. It was an interesting thing to see when I was there. There was always immediate sympathy for whomever was striking. Given that it took all of 9 days for the public to sour on the strikers and the SNCF was willing to cave so quickly is very serious indicator of how things have changed. I believe the ex-urban French have finally had it with the culture of laziness and sloth that has been part and parcel of French culture for decades. Look for Sarko's approval ratings to tank in the short term but rise steadily if he continues on this track.

New Pope aware that modern liturgical music is awful. Urges a return to the classics. This note will be of little interest to anyone in the DE Blogosphere who's name is not Paul Smith Jr. I, for one, would welcome some liturgical music that was transcendent, spiritual or inspirational.

Taking eco-weirdness to the extreme in physics and biology. I think the former is absurd (but given how weird string theory is, who knows?). Given the sheer size of the universe it's unfathomable that we could somehow endanger all of existence. As for the latter, I'm all in favor of it. Any reduction in the breeding and propagation of liberals. Just kidding (but not really).

If Gettysburg Address was done in powerpoint. Seems to be missing something but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The amazing
shifting Mississippi
. If you see the map you can understand why digging miles from the current path of the Mississippi turns up odd things like sunken steamboats and the like.

The abrogation of property rights continues apace. This is more about political power and corruption but it shows how those with clout can move mountains to get what they want. The author is wildly incorrect that "adverse possession" is in any way arcane or rarely used.

Comments

Paul Smith Jr. said…
Yeah, modern liturgical music sucks. Hopefully, we're seeing more evidence of a counter-revolution to the Hippie-ization of the Church in the 60s and 70s.
Anonymous said…
Quand etais-vous en France? Je comprends des difficultes de le SNCF. Ce les raison que je n'aime pss des liberals effetes.
The Last Ephor said…
I was there in '95 at Haute Ecole Superieur de La Rochelle. Truckers strike and rail strike. The latter I narrowly avoided while heading home for Christmas. The rail strike passed all but unnoticed in La Rochelle (esp. for me I walked everywhere) rather a different story in Paris, Lyon, Nantes etc.
miriam sawyer said…
I also agree with the Pope. Modern liturgical music is awful. So is most of the rest of modern music.

I'm not Catholic but I have friends who are so I have to attend weddings and other less happy occasions.

In other church news, folk masses are awful too.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing