So the warehouse crashed....

Completely. I mean if it were a cartoon it would have it's tongue hanging out the side of it's mouth and X's over the eyes. The DBA's called in UNIX and Oracle support guys almost immediately. Each blamed the other. Either way, my users had no data which tends to make them grumpy. After much ado, everyone agreed to blame the hardware since they were outnumbered.

It took two days to move everything over to another box on another frame while the original frame hardware was swapped out. My job of late has been to reassure people that yes, we know about the problem and yes, someone is working on it. I've referred a great many users to my boss since that's what he gets paid for.

One key event: A callout email/page went out around 3:30 AM on Wednesday morning. Oddly, my phone didn't ring so I didn't find out about the complete failure of our critical system until 7:00 when I logged on. I asked my boss why I wasn't called (not angry mind you, just confused). His response: "Because I'm too cheap to pay you for callouts". Ha! Take that you non-consultants!

My favorite moments are the users who name drop in hopes of resolution. Example:

Me: "Blah Blah Blah intro, how can I help you?"
User: "my web page is not working and I can't run reports."
Me: "That's correct. We have a global outage. Won't be back online until tomorrow"
User: "That's no good. I need to run a report for [Name] now."
Me (thinking): "Oh, it's for [Name]? Well why didn't you say so, let me just get my magic wand here..."
Me (what I actually said): "There's nothing more that we can do to make things go faster"

Same user calls back later....

User: Our repositories are local machines, why can't I run reports
Me: Because the database they're trying to hit is down.
User: Unacceptable. I need a local copy of that database installed on site so this doesn't happen again.
Me: OK. Fine by me.
User: (surprised) Really?
Me: Sure. If you want to create a backup site for the datawarehouse I have no objections. In fact, it would be great for resiliency.
User: Would that be expensive?
Me: It's going to cost many many thousands of dollars?
User: Why? We have servers here we can use
Me: The warehouse is many many terrabytes of data
User: Well if it's going to cost any more than $10,000...
Me: Well, call my boss, he's the one that's going to help you with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing