Today's Rant

Please don't give me Admin responsibility for a system and then allow local users in remote locations to install servers and databases w/o my knowledge or permission and then expect me to rescue them when they totally fuck up the installation.

Please do not install multiple versions of the same software on the same box along with the DB you're trying to use AND other non-related apps and then wonder why the security repo and partitioning shit the bed.

Lastly, no I cannot and will not do this ASAP!!!!11 on a Friday.
Before Memorial Day Weekend.
@ 3:30 when I know the lot of you are leaving any minute.

Sorry pal, I'll see you Tuesday. Deal with it.



(apologies for salty language)

Comments

Paul Smith Jr. said…
Yeah. A god rule: users don't get to install software. We give them what they need, no more, no less. Want more? Prove a business need.
The Last Ephor said…
Worst of all, these aren't users. They're remote site admins. However, it's one UNIX/LINUX guy and one DBA who are doing all the networking, middleware etc.

Seriously. You don't see me doing Oracle DBA stuff or, God help me, UNIX admin.
Anonymous said…
Amen
Paul Smith Jr. said…
I mean IT people as users. My last assignment, for all its faults, was pretty good about that: server guys handled server issues, network guys handled network issues, application guys (like me) handled application issues. If I needed database software or modifications, I went to a DBA. If a sysadmin needed the application I supported installed, he came to me. And so on. Sometimes that made it difficult to get everyone together to diagnose and then figure out who was responsible for an issue, but those situations came up far less frequently than they would have in a less structured environment.

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing