I have a confession

I've been holding out on my reader(s).

I've been playing soccer for the first time in literally a decade. We play once a week at from 8:30 until 10:00ish.

I got roped into this by someone we'll call Brian. A few weeks ago when we started this I met Brian at his house so I could follow him to the field. We got there and there were only 7 guys. We took sides and I touched the ball to start the game. Brian took one step and tore his ACL. As he's writhing on the ground writhing in agony I say; "You are in so much trouble." His wife's parting words to us were "Don't get hurt".

"I know" he said sucking in air and making sounds like a leaking tire that swears.

That was the end of his summer career. In fact, he just had surgery this week to repair his leg. Some guys will do anything for attention.

Anyway, back to the story...

As we're making the initial introductions, three guys are wearing Red Bull New York gear. As ask one guy if there was a sale on the stuff. "No," he says, "we coach for the team".

Oh boy.

Peeling the onion back I learn they're Brits here for the summer to teach the local kids how to play. This while they're on hiatus from their professional careers in Europe. This tidbit Brian forgot to tell me when I agreed to this.

Needless to say, these guys run circles around all of us and fire blistering shots from 30 yards out that sting like hell if you're on the receiving end of them.

Last week I asked my neighbor's son if he'd like to go. (He's on the team at school). He eagerly agreed. I waited while he bolted inside to gather his gear. His mom and I had a brief conversation:

Mom: Make sure he stretches. He tends to pull his groin.

Me: Well, you know teenage boys

Mom: I'm not even going there.

Last night he brought a few friends and for the first time we had a full 22 for a full game.

Upside: I've gone from completely sucking to not completely sucking.

Downside: I have miles to go before I'll be any good

Upside: In five short weeks I can feel the difference in my ability to run more than 9 feet without being winded.

Downside: I still can't keep up with the younger guys and have no hope of keeping up with the pros.

Upside: I forgot how much I missed playing. It's good to be back.

Downside: I can't find my cleats so I've been playing in flats. With the wet grass I've now had to calculate how much I'm going to slide when going after a ball.

Upside: The games are friendly and relaxed

Downside: Last night was inexplicably rough. Two guys in particular were way over the line. Like blatant pushing and such. One of the Brits is a moody hothead who can't be bothered to talk to anyone and really only wants to tee up and blast massive shots from the 18.

Upside: No injuries for the last two weeks.

Downside: I'm wired when I get home

Upside: Feels good even if I can't sleep until after midnight

Downside: On Thursdays I feel like I have the flu.

More on this to come

Comments

Anonymous said…
Duff -- are we clones or something? Did you read my own exploits about getting back into the game?
The Last Ephor said…
Yeah, I read yours and I started the same week you did. I managed to not get blasted in the eye and I'm going to keep with it as long as this body holds together. I gotta ask where are you playing?
Anonymous said…
been wanting to join in this for a while. I never really played but if you and Hube can do it, I see no reason that I can't too..

I am starting to find running a little boring and I think soccer might add some spice to my life.

although if Hube does it I may have to reconsider
Anonymous said…
dimwitty: You only wish you had a fraction of my athletic prowess. Stick with checkers. That's about your speed.

Duff: We played in King of Prussia. A VERY nice all-weather turf field behind a small sports complex whose name I forget. I actually am planning on joining a 35+ yr. old league that is "quite a bit more relaxed" so next time I won't end decapitated or something ... ;-)
Anonymous said…
BTW dimwitty: The longer you run (not the run itself, but the more you keep with it), the less boring it becomes. Pick an interesting route to take -- don't run on a track or anything. This adds to the non-boring factor.

From: Hube (who's been a runner since age 10)
The Last Ephor said…
DV: I play in Middletown so I think that's a bit far. KOP is just too far for me as much as I'd like to play in a league. Our games are pickup games, nothing formal.
Anonymous said…
Pube,

I have been running for about 3 years now. i have put off my long run on the weekend for the past 3 weeks b/c of my allergies.

Of late I was running in and around the Alopocas Trails. I can do 10 miles no problem these days, but the challenge is what has become boring, that and I just can't seem to get motivated enough to sign up for a race.

I am going to run the St. Anthony's 5k, so that should get me off my duff (hah) enough to motivitate me to work on speed. Shooting for under 26 minutes for that race.
Anonymous said…
DW (abbrev. for "dimwitty"): Ten miles is impressive. I usually only run 3-5. I used to run 5Ks all the time but none in the last 5-6 yrs. If you get under 26 mins. at St. Anthony's, that pretty darn good. How old are you?

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing