Faith, Strength, Humor

Andrew Sullivan touched on a topic that gave me pause. He's been talking about Jack Chick tracts that you find nutjobs distributing hither and yon. They're not as prevalent in this area as they are in others. My first and only encounter with these things was in Baltimore shortly after the Earth cooled (translation: when I was in college). It was Halloween and I was in Fells Point. For those of you familiar with the sight, no further explanation is necessary. For the uninitiated, my words will fail to adequately describe the bachanalian scene in those days. I understand it's become a bit more sedate over the years as Baltimore's Finest have clamped down a bit.

Anyway, I was heading down Broadway toward Max's and as I was waiting on line, some shady looking character was eyeballing me. I was dressed as a priest (of all things). I borrowed the gear from Fr. Perrine who lived upstairs from me. He seemed to think the thought of me as a priest was hilarious. I wasn't sure whether or not I should be insulted. In any event, there I was, an inebriated ersatz Catholic priest waiting to get into yet another den of iniquity. I looked at him for a moment and he said something I couldn't quite hear. He was waggling one of them at me and I took it. With that, he turned and left. I stuffed it in my pocket and forgot about it.

The next morning, I was nursing a hangover of epic proportions. I started digging through my pockets in vainglorious hope of finding some cash to buy myself something greasy to settle my stomach. There wasn't any cash ('natch) but I did find this.

Despite my pounding headache, I read it. Even more surprising, I laughed. It was so absurd and silly I had to. In no time, I was passing it around to my roommates and friends all of whom had a good laugh. I was wondering how I could get more of these unintentionally hilarious items. There was a stamped address and phone number on the back but I wasn't about to call those people. The last thing I needed was to be hounded by some weirdos.

I mention this episode because it stands in stark contrast to the way many theocrats both here and abroad respond to ridicule, criticism or apostasy.

I'm not going to claim that theocrats here and in say, Pakistan respond in a similar fashion but rather people who respond so virulently share one thing. A weakness in their faith.

For those who are strong and sure of something, whether it's faith in the divine, love for spouse or child, even scientific theory, they have no fear of being tested.

If you are insecure in your relationship, you worry when your husband goes out with the guys.

If you are insecure in your scientific theory you will denounce any naysayers as stooges and shills.

If you are sure of what you know, you won't have a problem testing it, defending it and hearing a contrary position.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing

For Gerard