License To Lie

Not All Sources Are Equal

The Press wants it both ways. They want to be able to shield their sources and be immune from defamation suits. Combine those and you'll get exactly what the author states; imagined sources that can be protected forever so there is no accountability. I could create a source I have called "Senior Administration Official" and have him/her tell me that Hillary Clinton is a Satan worshipping child murderer. I could then say I will not reveal my source and you can't prosecute me. News would never be reliable and defamation suits would go exactly nowhere. The more optimistic of you would note that the end result of such an environment might actually be better because any story without named sources would be discounted by large segments of the population. A view I don't share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing