Clueless idiot

Guns, burglary, and self-defense



I’ve never understood why anyone would keep a gun in their home to protect themselves from burglars. If you had a violent stalker ex, or someone who was was bent on invading your home in order to hurt you, I could see the rationale for being armed. But buying a gun to protect against burglars is no protection at all. It’s not like you’re going to stand guard every night to deter them.


So....I have to assume that someone who breaks into my house in the middle of the night isn't a violent maniac? You have to be kidding.


Interrupting a burglary with a gun probably unnecessary and likely counterproductive because you have no idea how the burglar’s going to react. Desperate criminals are human, too. I’m not pointing this out as a plea for compassion. I’m just noting that strung-out junkies at gunpoint are at least as likely to do something stupid as your average person. Maybe they’re armed, too. Maybe they’ll panic and try to get the gun away from you. Maybe they’ll succeed. Or, maybe you’ll panic and shoot them.


Counterproductive? It keeps someone from stealing my stuff and possibly hurting me or my family. A strung out junkie at gunpoint who does something stupid will likely end up a dead strung out junkie at gunpoint. Also, if they're armed, I damn sure want to be armed. I guarantee I'm a better shot than he is. I'm not a match grade shooter but I do OK and certainly better than someone strung out.


But does anyone really want to risk physical violence to protect their consumer electronics? That’s what insurance is for.


I'm defending my home and family. That's enough for me. It's enough for the law too.


Keeping a gun at home to protect against robbers seems like an especially silly idea in a big city where the police can arrive at the scene in less time than it takes to open your gun safe, load your gun, and confront the burglar.

If you’re already getting burglarized, do you really want to add to your problems by confronting a desperate criminal with your own loaded weapon? That’s as dumb as trying to fight a mugger for your wallet.


Idiot. I have no idea if someone breaking into my house when I'm home is coming for my iPod, my life, or both. Frankly, it's not a chance that I'm willing to take. Many many gun owners do not use safes. They either leave them unloaded or loaded with the safety on. Let's say someone had...oh I don't know....a Remington 870. If you put the safety on and leave it unchambered, it's very safe. Flick your thumb and pump the barrel and you're ready to deliver some serious deterrence in a hurry.

If I'm already being burglarized I want the man to stop. I can think of no better deterrent than a blast of a shotgun even if it misses. I doubt he'll be back again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lets hope the Supreme Court finally understands the rights of the people to protect themselves.

I am sick and tired of hearing people defend criminals and criminal behavior.

My mind has been made up since my military days. Break into my house, threated me, YOU DIE.
No if's ands or buts.
I will be damned if I could be called to protect my country, but not protect myself.

In my house and on my property, I WILL KNOW the CRIMINAL does not belong there.

As for insurance to cover loss of things, when the Liberals will pay for my insurance, they can hide behind the insurance claim.
Many things are uninsurable.

A criminal's life is worth exactly what the criminal determines to steal or harm. No more. no less.

They will hurt someone to steal a radio, talk about stupidity. The criminal is the one NOT to be TRUSTED.
And yes, with plea bargaining and our revolving court system, KILLING the perpetrator prevents a continued life of crime. Nothing else comes close.
ARM the citizens, enact the Castle Doctrine across the USA.
Crime will drop.
Jails will shrink.
People will be safer.

Yosemite Sam

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing