Class envy, class warfare

De la Where has a rant about wealthy and class envy. As usual, he's oversimplifying things to the point of straw man.


So in essence you are saying that I should get over my envy and become that which I despise?


That's a clear indication that you despise rich people. Liberals are supposed to be all about nuance but you paint rich people with the broadest brush possible. Are there no rich people who are not worthy of spite? If not, why not? Is there something intrinsically wrong with being rich?


That I should reward my self with enormous sums of money and force my employees to be squeezed financially more and more for my own gain?


No, there are plenty of rich people who own companies that don't do that. SAS Institute is a prime example.


Isn’t that called exploitation? Perhaps that is what angers us, not class envy.


Exploitation implies force. Employees are not forced to work in any job or for any employer.

Next up is a laundry list of perfidity:


I should aspire to get to the top of Home Depot, run the company into the ground then leave and be rewarded with a $210 mil package?


Probably not. I've been on record noting the trouble with executive comp. It's a very complicated issue and not one that can simply be lain at the feet of the CEOs.


I should backdate stocks to make more money?


No, that's illegal.


I should outsource jobs to save the company a few million and spread it out to the shareholders?


Probably. Depends on strategy, structure, market position, market capitalization and the amount you're saving. Again, globalization is here to stay. To stay competitive (read: in business) you have to follow suit. Nobody complained when banks brought jobs to Delaware because they were cheaper than New York. Yet these same people freak out when jobs move from Delaware (or the US) to somewhere cheaper.


I should by a $7000 shower curtain on the company’s credit card?


Only if you plan on re-imbursing the company. Otherwise, that's illegal.


I should hire contractors that will in turn hire illegal’s then claim it wasn’t my fault nor do I approve of such un American behavior?


So now you're against the hiring of illegal aliens?


Better yet maybe I should create accounting schemes that bankrupt a company and leave 50,000 people without a retirement package? Then go to court and claim the it wasn’t me defense and be shielded by a high price attorney.


No, that's illegal. I would only claim "it wasn't me" if, in fact, it wasn't me and if I ever find myself in court for any reason, I'd hire the best damn attorney I could possibly afford. You get what you pay for.


Better yet, I should fight tooth and nail with UAW about health care while I do nothing about the quality of my product.


The UAW is the reason the product has quality problems. Their goal isn't anything approximating fairness. They want to squeeze the auto industry dry by providing insanely high wages for their workforce and simultaneously shake down those employees for exorbitant dues used to fund political candidate, corruption and graft. There's a reason the US auto industry is referred to as "a healthcare and pension company that does auto work on the side".


Then lay off tens of thousands all the while I never once would even consider not paying dividends to share holders?


When you're hemmoraging billions per year you have to consolidate to stay alive. If you don't pay dividends to your shareholders they'll fire you.


Perhaps I should create a credit card company that charges 30% interest and better I will jack up a person’s APR to 30% if they are late on a competitors account. Then blame the person for being late and not being able to pay off their debt. After all this is the new ownership society and people need to take responsibility for their actions.


Another legitimate concern. The reason Delaware was able to lure jobs here is by making the incorporation rules favorable and then raising the ceiling on usuary laws. If you want to complain, talk to your legislators who control the maximum allowable rate for finance charges. While you're looking for their name and number, see if they have a D or an R after their name. Count the two and see which has the majority.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a clear indication that you despise rich people...


I despise GREEDY rich people as well as greedy corporations. Since they are given "people" rights I lump them together.


So now you're against the hiring of illegal aliens?

Hiring illegals is illegal right? I am against it yes, but I am for some sort of amnesty too. We wouldn't have this problem if we had better law enforcement as well as greedy people looking the other way to make a buck and stay "competitive" with the global market.

The UAW is the reason the product has quality problems.

No it isn't. I will agree that there is shared blame but not put it solely on the UAW.

While you're looking for their name and number, see if they have a D or an R after their name. Count the two and see which has the majority.

I don't think you will get an arguement from me regarding the little monarchy we have in delaware when it comes to state reps. I vote for change and will continue to do so, not based on party affiliation but based on what is best for the state.


I am honored that you take the time to tear my rants apart. I like to think I am getting better at them.

Also my attack was to the writer of a piece that told me to get over my envy, when I am not envy of the rich at all. It is the corruption and greed I am angry about and how they get away with it continually all the while the middle class takes the brunt of it between the legs.
The Last Ephor said…
"I despise GREEDY rich people as well as greedy corporations. Since they are given "people" rights I lump them together."

I think the problem is that you do not distinguish between greedy people and rich people. There are plenty of greedy middle class and poor people. Likewise there are generous rich people.

"Hiring illegals is illegal right? I am against it yes, but I am for some sort of amnesty too."

So you're against it until you can make it not illegal? This is like being against bank robbers but wanting to grant them a general pardon.


"We wouldn't have this problem if we had better law enforcement as well as greedy people looking the other way to make a buck and stay "competitive" with the global market."

Republicans don't do anything because the SBA would eat them alive. Democrats don't b/c they need them as voters.

Why is competitive in scare quotes? The single largest contributors to production cost here are labor and regulation. You're against outsourcing to minimize and against hiring illegals to minimize cost. Ignoring ways to produce your product cheaply is going to price you out of the market.

This also applies to the local market. Who's cleaning restaurants? Who's mowing lawns? Who's working for contractors? These are small businesses that salami slice their margins to get business.

"No it isn't. I will agree that there is shared blame but not put it solely on the UAW."

Not solely but largely. Union rules block improvements in process and automation.

"I don't think you will get an arguement from me regarding the little monarchy we have in delaware when it comes to state reps. I vote for change and will continue to do so, not based on party affiliation but based on what is best for the state."

Good. We agree on that.


"I am honored that you take the time to tear my rants apart."

I'm not trying to tear them apart. Rather, I'm trying to have something approximating a dialog. You're one of the few lefties who keeps his composure when challenged.

"I like to think I am getting better at them."

Too. Many. Jokes. Overload...

"Also my attack was to the writer of a piece that told me to get over my envy, when I am not envy of the rich at all. It is the corruption and greed I am angry about and how they get away with it continually all the while the middle class takes the brunt of it between the legs."

From a tax perspective the rich carry far more load than anyone. The problem here is how things like "rich" and "greedy" are defined. The rich want to keep as much of their money as possible. I'm not sure I'd agree that's greedy. If you gave me the chance, I'd opt out of taxes almost completely. I think one main reason people aren't more charitable is that they are taxed to death.
Anonymous said…
I think the problem is that you do not distinguish between greedy people and rich people....


I thought I was distinguishing by using referrence to Home Depot, Enron, Tyco etc....

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing

For Gerard