The Holy See has condemned the Israelis for attacking southern Lebanon. As and asided the Pope also condemned Hezbollah as well. That's nice I guess, but let's keep our eye on things shall we?

I don't fault the Pope. He's in the peace, love and forgiveness business (usually) and war is none of those things. However, I find it troubling that the statement makes more hay about Israel's actions than the terrorists. It pains me that the leader of my faith does not cast his lot with them. If he wants to condemn their response, that's fine but let's make note of how this started and who can end it immediately.

I have no problem leaving decision making on matters theological (mostly) to the Magesterium but in matters temporal, the Holy See manages to annoy me more often than not. In fact, they are, in my opinion, on the wrong side quite often. AsNew Sisyphus points out, there was a mass with John Paul II and Tariq Azziz for "peace".

How can this be? Peace? With one of the most evil regimes on earth? Where is the Just War doctrine? How did it not meet the criteria? I never understood how the anti-war crowd couldn't see that the end of Saddam's regime meant an end to totalitarianism and institutionalized torture, rape, murder and mayhem. When the mass graves failed to sway world opinion that, while we may have been wrong about WMD's we were right to end Saddam's reign of terror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing