In Plain English: Let's Make It Official. Krauthammer makes a very persuasive case for an official language. I'll never understand how this can possibly be "racist". I've been to other countries and even lived there. I never once expected people to speak English. I was often relieved when they did. Speaking a foreign language can be very tiring. I never realized how taxing it can be until I was a few days into my stay. However, at the end of my time there, it was much, much easier. Since then I've really been a proponent of immersion. Asking old ladies for direction in a foreign language is fine in the classroom when you know the old lady speaks english and its an exercise. It's a whole different ballgame when the woman you're speaking to doesn't know a word of English and you don't have a phrasebook on you.
This is very strange...
I'm an average guy with an average life. I have a few more kids than most but for the most part I'm just an anonymous lumpenprole toiling away in obscurity both professionally and on this blog. To say my life follows a certain routine is like saying " The Hindenburg caught fire." That is to say, technically accurate but wildly understates the truth. In any event, I just received a call from The Wife. To wit: "Did you order something?" "No, why?" "There's something here for you." "Uh, box, bag, envelope, singing telegram?" "It's a box" "Who's is from?" "It's from [Name redacted pending confession or further investigation]" "Who?" "(repeats name)" "No idea. Never heard of him." A quick google search later I find that the sender's return address is in the wilds of northern Pennsylvania. A place I have never visited. "Open it." "W...
Comments