In Plain English: Let's Make It Official. Krauthammer makes a very persuasive case for an official language. I'll never understand how this can possibly be "racist". I've been to other countries and even lived there. I never once expected people to speak English. I was often relieved when they did. Speaking a foreign language can be very tiring. I never realized how taxing it can be until I was a few days into my stay. However, at the end of my time there, it was much, much easier. Since then I've really been a proponent of immersion. Asking old ladies for direction in a foreign language is fine in the classroom when you know the old lady speaks english and its an exercise. It's a whole different ballgame when the woman you're speaking to doesn't know a word of English and you don't have a phrasebook on you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing