Damnit. I hate when I'm wrong. I made a comment on De la Where to the effect that private transportation accounts for a small percentage of oil consumption. Probably not true. The graph shows the demand for oil by sector from 1950-2002. Initially, I had misinterpreted the graph. I didn't realize the pink, yellow and blue portions of the graph were incrimental increases not aggregate numbers. Additionally, this graph shows demand by product. Motor gasoline is by far the largest sector and transportation comprises the vast majority of that sector. I've been unable to find any data that breaks down the difference in consumption between private/consumer transporation and commercial/fleet and trucking. However, given that most trucks and buses run on diesel and not motor gasoline the point stands. Private, consumer demand is the bulk of oil consumption and, more specifically, motor gasoline.

I think the other point I was confusing was not consumption but emissions. Private, consumer vehichles do account for a very low percentage of emissions, not consumption.

Conocophillips also has a primer that's worth your time. Note the graph that shows the virtually flat refining capacity.

In summation:

Where I was wrong: Consumers comprise a very large percentage of oil consumption for private transporation.

Where I was right: The President can do little to affect the price at the pump. To reduce oil costs at the pump in the short term we can reduce taxes, increase refinement capacity or force OPEC to increase production. (The last is theoretically possible but not practically possible).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing