So I took a header down the stairs this weekend. I didn't get hurt aside from some bruising to my muscles and my ego. What happened you ask, pull up a chair and I'll tell you.

It's Saturday evening and my kids have finished dinner and are off to the bath. My wife is going out to some craft/fabric store to buy things we in DIRE need of. What these things are I cannot tell you because they involve a subset of English that is incomprehensible to men. I have never been to a fabric store and have no idea why they need an entire store for one. Have you ever, in your life, said, well, I wish I had some fabric right now. Me either. Anyway, back to my story....

I get the kids into the bath and my wife heads out to buy well, whatever it is. (Could "I need to go to the fabric store be some elaborate ruse that women use nationwide to meet in secret for nefarious or purile reasons? Don't laugh, it would work. What man would say, "Great. I'll come with"? None I tell you!)

I hear her backing out of the driveway as I'm toweling off the little monsters and getting their pajamas. The freshly laundered and folded PJ's are in a laundry bucket on the first floor. I scamper down the stairs to retreive them. Midway down the stairs, I step on a wooden plug used to fill the screwholes in the bannister. (My son has a penchant for taking them out for some reason). As soon as I planted my foot on it, it rolled and both my feet shot out from under me in comic vaudvillian prat-fall fashion. I was airborne for what felt like several minutes before slamming into the stairs again on my lower lumbar area. All oxygen was immediately expelled from my lungs. Now I am gasping for air and laying flat on my back assessing just how bad this is. My three year old asks, "Daddy, why did you do that?" Sensible kid that one. As I cannot breathe, I cannot answer hiim. Like any other three year old, he lets the question die unanswered. Ha! Just kidding. Any 3 year old human is unable to let a question go unanswered. They have a biological urge to ask the same question again and again with no pause in between until you answer them to their satisfaction. Any answer you give will spawn any number of unrelated and unanswerable questions. It's like having your own little White House Press Corp only with more trust and better command of logic.

I get the pajamas and requisite diapers and head back upstairs to strains of "whydidyoudothatdadee? whydidyoudothatdaddee?" While trying to get my wind back. I finally corrale the small naked men and get myself a beer. I had a choice between Motrin and Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. I mean, c'mon which would you pick? I thought so.

Finally, after much ado, I got the kids off to sleep and settled in with my pint and fired up the TiVo so Admiral Adama and friends could soothe my bruised ego. Unlike Hube, I liked it. I think the show needs a kick every now and then to move the story arc along. IMNHO, the yearlong time on the new planet reflects the human need to turn away from the difficulty and strife of war. Not unlike our situation. You'd never know we're a nation at war. Our lives have not changed, our focus is on the latest celebrity antics and award shows. The men and women in combat are more often used as pawns to score cheap political points on opponents. War wears us down, all of us. Those in harms way get the worst of it, of course, but even here we feel it. We need to turn away to mindless distraction. That's not a bad thing per se. We need to tune out so we can reboot and recharge. The danger is that the mindless distractions become more of a focus than the real issues at hand.

/soapbox and back to the review:

I thought the episode was good but the idea that Gaius has become this cock sure potentate living like a bachanallian caesar a bit far fetched. In the past, he's been paranoid and self-doubting due to his fear of getting caught as a collaborator and tends to panic when Six isn't there to advise him. Why would that have changed so completely in a year. President Roslyn said she knew he was working with the Cylons and was going to prove it. Where did that go? Would she really just give it up and go back to teaching like there was no problem? The Cylons tell the humans they found New Caprica by accident b/c of the nuclear explosion that Six used to destroy Cloud Nine. That was a year ago. It took them a year to get there. How can that be? They have FTL transports no? They'd have to be travelling AT light speed when they jump not FTL as we (read: I) have been led to believe. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Despite my grumblings, Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television. Even better than LOST in some ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing