No Ma'am, this IS my job has a post about having children. He speaks of the societal pressure to do so as it is simply what people do. I used to be of the opinion that everyone should have children. Now, I think exactly the opposite. It's a big job. I didn't realize how big until I was one. Now I urge everyone considering kids to think very carefully. You trade much but (in my opinion) you gain much more. Your time is no longer your own but really, the payoff is something that I cannot express in words. I know this all sounds like claptrap to anyone reading it and with good reason. I go to pieces when my kids tell me they love me, or miss me, or tell me I'm their best friend. Whatever that makes me, I'm proud to wear the label.

What galls me is the number of parents who act as if their kids are accessories. They are mere ornaments that only exist to reflect well on the parents. Some just want to be their friends. Disciplining them is not fun so anything goes. Nothing is wrong or bad and bad behavior and worse is met with a shrug and a flick of the remote. People like that are making my job harder. I have to be the no fun killjoy "no" machine. No you cannot have candy for breakfast, no you cannot have a toy simply because you want it. No you may not hit others, No you may not take things that do not belong to you. No you may not....

I feel like I have an umbrella and I'm trying to shield my kids from the firehose of negative influences that threatens to drown them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing

For Gerard