So I’m trainblogging again. Not what I want to be doing. We had a rough weekend. Colin was all off schedule. He was up at about 4:30 on Saturday, and 2:30 on Sunday. My I got up with him both times. That’s only b/c he chose me. He’s very particular about who gets the morning shift. My in-laws were merciful enough to take the boys on Sunday which meant I got back to sleep around 7:00 and slept until 2:30. At one point, I was upstairs sleeping and Colin came in to wake me up to play. I was completely out. Stone dead, drooling on the pillow out. I was having a dream about being in the backyard and gardening. In my dream I was being stung by bees. I woke to find Colin grabbing my pectoral muscle w/ sharp fingernails which felt very much like bees. Wonderful thing the brain. My wife came in corraled him downstairs and packed the kids into the car. Bilssful, tomblike silence followed. Silence of any kinds is a rare and precious thing at my house. When I finally woke at around 2:30 PM I felt like a bear coming out of hibernation. My limbs and lids were leaden. Mouth parched and body humming with radiant heat. I opened the door at the top of the stairs and looked down upon zillions of piles of papers. My wife was finally attacking the Piling Cabinet(TM)*. I confirmed that the kids were at Grandma’s and went back to bed. I played some Xbox while trying to get motivated to shower and pick up the kids. After about 15 minutes of xboxing, I finally showered, dressed, and picked up the kids. Colin was in a good mood when I got there and I could tell that Grandpa needed a break. He was laying on his bed trying to nap and Connor and Ian were trying to explain that you don’t sleep in the daytime. “Papa” (as the kids call him) was laughing and trying to catch a few winks. With much cajoling, I finally herded the kids into the car. Grandma came through in the clutch by giving me freshly made chili to take with me. That could not have been more welcome as our fridge was empty and I was starving. On the way home, Colin fell asleep. NOT GOOD. It was 4:30 and if he took any kind of nap now he’d be up AGAIN. As I was getting the kids out of the car, Connor had let himself out of the car and was studying “Collies” face.
“He’s still sweeping”.
“Yes he is”, I said.
“He’s tiyud.”
“Yes, c’mon, let’s go inside.”
“Wook at dat.” He said pointing to his lip.
“Yes, his lips are chapped.”
“Why?”
“Because our house is dry and that happens sometimes.”
“Why?”
“Because. C’mon, let’s go inside.”

I got the kids, toys, diaper bag and chli in the house. I carried Colin in and he was asleep on my shoulder. I put him on the couch to take off his shoes and he slid off the couch like some sort of boneless child. Struck by a bolt of inspiration I gave him a bath and that perked him up. We finished out the night and he was out like a light by 8:00. When I left the house at 6:00 AM he was still sleeping. I did hear him coughing that raspy wheezing cough at 5:30. I think we’re going to have to make a trip to the doctor about that one. I don’t know if it’s asthma or allergies or God help me, pneumonia.


*The Piling Cabinet is the endless pile of papers that currently occupy the dining room table. It is every expanding and would cause a 1970’s era Soviet civil servant to despair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing