Trainblogging

I take the 4:00 train back from Manhattan. That means I have to leave the office at 3:30. Today I had about 6 minutes to spare before the train took departed. The stairs down to the E line are very very deep. It feels like descending into a mine or a bomb shelter. The hot foul-smelling wind blows steadily in my face as I walk down the stairs. (The line for the escalator was just too crowded. It’s amazing to think how many of the people on the escalator will pay top dollar to join a gym and take a step class.)

The train is called the “Metroliner” which is faster than the “Regional” train I took this morning. Additionally, I have a “business class” ticket (that’s all that was available). It is cleaner; seats are new and have more legroom. There are also curtains on the windows (this makes big difference as the time I’m traveling the sun tends to be low and very bright. Note: I have to find my sunglasses). Business class for this trip is the “Quiet Car”. That means low lighting, no cell phones and no loud conversations permitted. As I type this, the guy behind me is…on his cell phone. The woman across the aisle from me looks at me with annoyance pursed lips. I roll my eyes and resume typing. She admonishes the man that he’s on the quiet car. I peer over the seat to add my complaint silently. He gives a nod while talking and wraps up his conversation in short order. Kudos to someone who can be admonished and respond like an adult. The scenery blows buy in a blur. It’s amazing what lines the rails. Countless dilapidated businesses that were reliant on rail service for delivering goods. The overgrown rail lines that snake off the spur and into the dying buildings stand as mute witness to the past. Some of the neighborhoods are blighted and others are modest but tidy and kept with pride. I’m noticing the business car is noticeably quieter. Being the “quiet car” doesn’t hurt either. The ride is mostly, very boring. This train really needs free wifi and an A/C outlet would be nice. Unlike European trains, the rails are bumpy and noisy. Maybe that has more to do with it being a regional train than an express one. The most amazing thing is the cost. My ticket this morning cost $63. The return on the Metroliner in Business Class was $95! That’s $158 for traveling to work for one day. Throw in lunch ($9) and parking ($8) and it adds up. I think I’m going to add gas in there for my trips on Thursday. It’s all part of getting me to NYC for the day. After my hour and 45 minute train ride, I then have another 40-45 minute drive home. It really can grate on you. I think I may work from home tomorrow at least half a day. I think I should probably make sure I'm able dial in to the NYC VPN before I try that one though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing