Rescue Me is a good show. I like it. I think it's well acted, well written and very realistic. My main gripe is that nearly everyone on the show is a total degenerate. I understand that people have flaws and some of them are big ones but isn't it enough to at least TRY to do the right thing? The only character that is not completely lacking in redeeming qualities is the female firefighter (name escapes me). She is stubborn and sometimes short sighted but she is good at heart. Tommy and his wife are both constantly trying to get the best of each other. Granted that is sometimes a part of divorce but its more than that here. Tommy is a drug addict, drunk, self-serving, violent, misogynistic asshole. He has a conscious but it only plagues him in the abstract. Jesus and Mary Magdalene visit him in visions. Mary toys with him and Jesus asks him for his trust and faith. Tommy wants to believe and I think he does, but he is troubled by the loss of his cousin and feels constrained by the rules. He's been on the road to redemption since the beginning of the show. Season One was the long slow slide into the gutter but now he's been on the up. He quit drinking; he's trying to get back together with his wife and kids. Now he's taking his wife's antidepressants to help dull the pain. His cousin is a former priest who left in disgust at the Church's response to the abuse scandal. His brother is a cop and an angry guy. He never has a kind word for anybody. I think he serves mostly as a plot device.

And no, I haven't seen the finale yet. I Tivo'd it and s/b watching it sometime this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing