Zero Tolerance Makes Zero Sense. I wholeheartedly agree. Our insane view of alcohol (and drugs but that's another post altogether) has led us down a very strange path. In the cited examples, MADD tips its hand. It is not an anti-DUI organization, it is a temperance organization. They do not advocate safety but rather, they are anti-alcohol. When I was a teenager, my parents kept an eye on us but we were (ok I was) crafty enough to avoid detection most of the time. My brothers were not so crafty. I was at one party that was packed to the rafters with my classmates. The police came and kicked everybody out. The result: Now we have 100 kids getting behind the wheel after they've been drinking. I will qualify that not all those driving had been drinking and vice versa but there were a good many who should not have been driving. The height of hypocrisy was the son of chief of police who would turn his stereo up loud and drive down the main street in town while openly drinking. He knew he was above the law because daddy would take care of the problem. The only reason he didn't kill anyone was because he relished driving very slow so everyone could see what he was doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing