Zero Tolerance Makes Zero Sense. I wholeheartedly agree. Our insane view of alcohol (and drugs but that's another post altogether) has led us down a very strange path. In the cited examples, MADD tips its hand. It is not an anti-DUI organization, it is a temperance organization. They do not advocate safety but rather, they are anti-alcohol. When I was a teenager, my parents kept an eye on us but we were (ok I was) crafty enough to avoid detection most of the time. My brothers were not so crafty. I was at one party that was packed to the rafters with my classmates. The police came and kicked everybody out. The result: Now we have 100 kids getting behind the wheel after they've been drinking. I will qualify that not all those driving had been drinking and vice versa but there were a good many who should not have been driving. The height of hypocrisy was the son of chief of police who would turn his stereo up loud and drive down the main street in town while openly drinking. He knew he was above the law because daddy would take care of the problem. The only reason he didn't kill anyone was because he relished driving very slow so everyone could see what he was doing.
This is very strange...
I'm an average guy with an average life. I have a few more kids than most but for the most part I'm just an anonymous lumpenprole toiling away in obscurity both professionally and on this blog. To say my life follows a certain routine is like saying " The Hindenburg caught fire." That is to say, technically accurate but wildly understates the truth. In any event, I just received a call from The Wife. To wit: "Did you order something?" "No, why?" "There's something here for you." "Uh, box, bag, envelope, singing telegram?" "It's a box" "Who's is from?" "It's from [Name redacted pending confession or further investigation]" "Who?" "(repeats name)" "No idea. Never heard of him." A quick google search later I find that the sender's return address is in the wilds of northern Pennsylvania. A place I have never visited. "Open it." "W...
Comments