Ugh. Number 1 son has had a nasty stomach bug for about 10 days now and it's finally giving up the ghost. Actually, it looks like it's found some new hosts: Son's #2 and 3. Lovely. Yesterday The Wife took #2 and #3 shopping and I stayed behind (pardon the pun) with #1. I figured it would be too crowded and he gets REALLY unhappy in large crowds. We were watching some Elmo and such and he had a metldown for unknown reasons. After much ado, I realized he wanted to go swimming. As soon as I pulled out a Swimmy diaper, he pulled off the one he was wearing and tossed it in the garbage. He ran back to me and hopped into the new one. We were out the door and he was happy as a clam. He splashed around and I read "Fatherland" by Robert Harris.

A little while later, #2 and #3 came to the fence separating front yard from back.

"Knock knock" says #3

"It's me!" shouts #2 (he thinks I can't see him through the split rail fence.

#2 doesn't want to go swimming. He's holding a new Jay Jay Jet Plane computer game and he wants to test it out. He goes inside with Mommy and #3 gets a swimmy on. Curiously, he doesn't go in the pool right away. He hides behind the slide and peeks out at me letting me know that he can, in fact, see me.

After a while he's in the pool and splashing about. I approach him to help him on th slide. Then it hits me.

That smell.

Oh no.

Yes, I peek in the swimmy and see....(forgive me) brown soup. Lovely.

I carry him at arms length to the sliding glass door. Wife comes to the door and a debate (read: arguement) ensues as to how to deal with this. I put him on the grass and remove the swimmy. The offending mess spills onto the grass. Wife has meltdown. I can't figure out why. I can use the hose out here to get rid of it. Not so on the carpet in the living room. After a rinse, he's whisked to the bath for decontamination. My wife has a Level 4 HazMat suit she bought from the CDC for just such occasions. She looks like Rene Russo in Outbreak. The rest of us are left to fend for ourselves against the Hanta Virus or Flesh Eating Bacteria or what have you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing