Conscience in Its Age by Benedict XVI (Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger). Read this and you'll know why his critics are so vociferous. He is a deeply learned man with impeccible adherence to the tenets of the faith. He cannot be derided as a fool or a closed minded bigot. To do so would reveal the accuser to be exactly that. I knew almost nothing about him before he was Pope. (Not that I know much more now). But it is plain to see not only how intelligent he is, but how well he writes and how widely he has read. I think even though he stands in a very long shadow he will step in to the light and cast his own in short order.
So....the autism thing
Since April is nearly over and it's autism awareness month, I suppose I should talk a bit about it. I guess the best way to start is to rehash the story of How I Got Here. My oldest was born in 1999. Healthy, happy and so on. One peculiar thing he did as an infant was to avoid eye contact. Our doctor assured us it was because he was so young and his eyesight was undeveloped and he was probably focusing on something in the background that was more interesting. Besides, babies don't recognize faces for a few months after birth. Only later did we find out that our doctor was an idiot. He was 16 mos. old when his little brother was born and he was walking and making wishes known by pulling me or my wife by the hand to whatever he wanted etc. He was fascinated with the wheels on toys. If you gave him a truck he'd turn it over and spin the wheels and smile. Only later would I find out this is a major warning sign. This was our first born and what the hell did I know? ...
Comments