My Way News: "Habemus papam!"

Huzzah! The Curse is broken.

I have not mentioned the curse for fear of having it happening again this year. It seems that every year I have to wait for some sort of catastrophe to happen on my birthday. Yes, it's today. When I was 21 for example, the president of my college died on my birthday. He was the longest serving president of a 4 year college at the time. He was an icon at the school as he largely built the school from scratch into what it is today. So you can imagine the impact his death had. Did I mention it was also a Monday? So; it was Monday, the president had died and I was 21. Needless to say I didn't have a big blowout for my 21st.

The Columbine Massacre was scheduled for my birthday but for one reason or another, it actually took place on the 20th. I (barely) dodged that one. This year it looks like The Almighty has decided that my curse, like Boston's is over. I am much obliged.

Herewith is list, culled from wikipedia, of the misfortunes which have fallen on this day. (some of these are not catastrophes but noteworthy nonetheless.)

1012 - Martyrdom of St Alphege in Greenwich, London.
1775 - American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Lexington and Concord – British General Thomas Gage attempts to confiscate American colonists' firearms. The British are driven back to Boston, Massachusetts, thus beginning the American Revolutionary War.
1861 - American Civil War: A pro-Secession mob in Baltimore, Maryland, attacks United States Army troops marching through the city.
1904 - Much of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, is destroyed by fire.
1934 - Shirley Temple debuts in Stand Up and Cheer.
1943 - World War II: German troops enter the Warsaw ghetto to round up the remaining Jews, starting the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
1956 - Actress Grace Kelly marries Rainier III of Monaco.
1961 - The Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba ends in failure.
1971 - Vietnam War: Vietnam Veterans Against the War begin a five-day demonstration in Washington, DC.
1989 - A gun turret explodes on the USS Iowa, killing 47 sailors.
1989 - Trisha Meili, the "Central Park Jogger" is raped.
1993 - The 50-day siege of the Branch Davidian complex outside Waco, Texas, USA, ends when a fire breaks out. Eighty-one people die.
1995 - Oklahoma City bombing: The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, is bombed, killing 168.
2000 - An Air Philippines Boeing 737-200 crashes near Davao airport, killing 131.

Births
1903 - Eliot Ness (d. 1957)
1930 - Dick Sargent, actor (d. 1994)
1933 - Jayne Mansfield, actress (d. 1967)
1935 - Dudley Moore, actor, musician, comedian, composer (d. 2002)
1946 - Tim Curry, British actor
1962 - Al Unser, Jr., automobile racer, two-time Indianapolis 500 winner
1965 - Suge Knight, record producer
1968 - Ashley Judd, actress
1979 - Kate Hudson, actress
1981 - Hayden Christensen, actor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing