Silliness of multiculturalism in action.

Last week we had a Divali festival here at work. Divali is some sort of fall harvest festival that is celebrated in India. Fine, no problem there. The awful part was the MC who was a balding white guy in traditional Indian garb. I could not but cringe when I saw him. WTF is he doing in Indian clothing? If there were a Japanese festival, he'd be wearing a kimono and a samurai sword. Right off the bat he says "Namaste" only he murders the pronunciation so badly the crowd corrects him. He then explains that it means "hello". It does not. It means (literally) "I bow to you". It is correct to say that it is a greeting but it does not mean "hello" any more than "Vaya con dios" means "goodbye." Perhaps I'm picking nits but get it right, even I know that and I'm not the one MCing some Indian cultural event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing

For Gerard