Blah blah blog.

I've resolved myself to post here much more often. Yes I have very very little free time but what little I have is well served by using my gray matter. As such, I begin today. I am however, discouraged by the Giants of the Blogsphere. I cannot hope to compete with the endless stream of info that Instapundit's Glenn Reynolds manages to put forth. Nor can I compete with Lileks and his ever elegant phrasing and ability to spin a yarn like few others. The man is all but peerless. Sullivan's keen observations often leave me flat-footed. I could never hope to out-snark Kaus. What then, to differentiate myself and make this blog worth reading?

I'm still looking for that answer myself.


Observation of the day #1.

In The Godfather Trilogy at least 3 people ask for a drink that are not offered one. Each of them is portrayed as a weak and callow person. They are Johnny Fontaine, Merle and Fredo. The Don gives Johnny a smack and tells him to act like a man. Merle is completely ignored by Michael as a man of no consequence. Fredo...well, we all know what happens to Fredo.

What does it mean, if anything? Does it mean that men worthy of respect get a drink automatically and those that do not recieve such hospitality are overlooked intentionally? Is it a message to the person that they are not in the good graces of the family? Perhaps nothing. Just struck me the other day when I was watching (ok, flipping around) the DVD's.

Why are the kids in Godfather 1 always crying? I don't know, just bothers me.


Observation #2.

As Thomas Sowell noted, one sure sign of full employment is poor customer service. I find myself having to call every single last person I deal with several times to make sure they've done their job. I called and placed an order with Michael C. Fina. The item was on backorder for 4 weeks. Then 12 then another 12. My wife called and cancelled the order telling them it would be faster to order the item directly from Ireland. Two days later we get a notice about the backordered item. She calls again and sure enough the order was never cancelled. Simply amazing. I cannot even cancel an order on the first try.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing