"Freeze this moment just a little bit longer, make each sensation a little bit stronger"

I write (and think) about being a father quite a bit. As I've noted before, my observations are not novel or new or even unique. They are, however, real and a very big part of my life.

I feel very in tune with Colin of late. I've been trying (and not to brag but doing rather well) to be more patient with him. I made a conscious decision some time ago that I was going to do so. It's not always easy but it's always necessary. We had our semi-annual bout of sleeplessness. He was waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning and was often up for the day. He would be so cranky and miserable by 3 PM he would crash on the couch for a few hours. That would lead to him being up until 10 or so and then repeat. This went on for about a week and as mysteriously as it arrived, it vanished. I don't know how or why this happens every year but it does. Usually around Thanksgiving and again in the summer when he's off from school. I think he's so devoted to routine he gets really screwed up when that routine is broken. I know he’s ready to go back to school. Today as I was leaving he tried to put my lunch bag on as a backpack. That’s his signal for “SEND ME TO SCHOOL!” We had some good news regarding his coming school year. He will have the same teacher, Para, bus driver and bus aide. Very good news. He will likely take to the routine with little trouble. Here’s hoping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Gerard

So....the autism thing