For Gerard

 Many moons ago, I started reading blogs and shortly thereafter I started reading them.  I became discouraged because I read many writers, far more talented than me and the ease with which they elucidated the very points I wanted to make but so much more elegantly and completely that I just gave up.   

Gerard of American Digest was one such writer.  His facility with prose and his ability to evoke emotion was remarkable.  I linked to him once with my nascent blog and he was kind enough to reach out to me and thank me for the link.  I literally had zero readers.  Just like now.  But that was the measure of the man.  He took the time to reach out to me and genuinely thank me for the link.   The closest I ever had to meeting the man was meeting Morgan in person.  Morgan and Gerard were friends.  They had an evident mutual respect for their respective works.   I never met Gerard, didn't know the man personally but having read his work I had a sense of the man.  He's dying now.  If I have the right of it, he has passed.  We have lost something with his passing.   A voice that was distinct, elegant and poignant.  Its very strange to miss a man you've never met.  His writing occupies a place for me that include rare air.  Van der Leun, Lileks, and Steven Den Beste.  If you don't read these men, you're poorer for it.   


Godspeed Gerard.   May flock of angels sing thee to thy rest.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So....the autism thing