Autism Advocacy Community Applauds U.S. Senators Santorum (R-PA) and Dodd (D-CT) for Introducing Combating Autism Act of 2005. This one hits close to home as my eldest is autistic. It's a growing epidemic and one that we igore at our peril. I say this not only for my son but for the thousands that will follow after him if we don't find a cure or a cause. One thing people don't realize (and certainly, I didn't.) is how much hidden cost is associated with disabled children. Special diets, very expensive medicine every 20 days on and on and on. The bill above seeks to alleviate some of these costs. It's probably going to sound driven by self interest but it's not. This is vitally important for those with autism. Early intervention and therapy is the only way these people are going to be self sufficient, functioning members of society. If we ignore them at the outset, we're going to be carrying a larger burden in terms of societal cost down the road when they require full time care. It's not only the compassionate thing to do, it's the practical solution as well.
This is very strange...
I'm an average guy with an average life. I have a few more kids than most but for the most part I'm just an anonymous lumpenprole toiling away in obscurity both professionally and on this blog. To say my life follows a certain routine is like saying " The Hindenburg caught fire." That is to say, technically accurate but wildly understates the truth. In any event, I just received a call from The Wife. To wit: "Did you order something?" "No, why?" "There's something here for you." "Uh, box, bag, envelope, singing telegram?" "It's a box" "Who's is from?" "It's from [Name redacted pending confession or further investigation]" "Who?" "(repeats name)" "No idea. Never heard of him." A quick google search later I find that the sender's return address is in the wilds of northern Pennsylvania. A place I have never visited. "Open it." "W...
Comments